One of Europe’s most innovative cities
In 2016 and 2017 we bid for the title of European Capital of Innovation.
The pages below list the activities and groups that went in to our bids, and helped to shortlist us as one of the most innovative cities in Europe
We reviewed how we address our societal challenges and encourage local innovation by:
- Experimenting with new concepts, processes, tools, and models
- Engaging citizens in the innovation process
- Expanding the city as a role model for others
- Empowering the local ecosystem through innovation
A people-centred approach
As the Shared City, we strive to seek input and proposals from the broader community on how to develop and scale up activity related to our innovation themes, including:
- supporting our innovators by growing our rich mosaic of innovation spaces and networks;
- extending access to social enterprise, social innovation and the local community;
- inspiring and attracting a new generation of science and technology talent and businesses;
- mainstreaming ultra-low carbon technology;
- pioneering smart city and healthcare solutions by embedding innovations in the ecosystem.
As we continue to expand and evolve our Innovation Strategy to engage and energise even more people, we’re opening our institutions to everyone who wants to learn, alongside us, to create connected and accessible cities of innovation right across Europe.
We are the Shared City, where anyone can bring an idea to life.